Saturday, July 31, 2010

Attendance register

One of the interesting learning that I had discovered over my 'n' number of years as a teacher and as a trainer is that everyone is capable of demonstrating goodness at some area and the scope to capture it is always inbuilt in us.

Here is an example that I was fortunate to experience:

Rizwan - A student of class VI then. He was always well-groomed and maintained his notebooks well. He scored very high in academics and was a good speaker too. I was the classteacher of his class. He used to be with me whenever he is free and ask questions in science. I noticed that he was a guy who took initiatives and was very enthusiastic. One day I was on my way to class with the attendance register in my hand. I marked the atendance, continued my class and came out as usual. He came behind me calling "Ma'am, I want to ask u something". I stopped with a smile and asked him to continue. He said,  "Ma'am, you are so good in many things and I admire you. But I find that the way you maintain the register needs more atention. You have not wrappped with a brown wrappper while we students are asked to do so". I was taken aback. His remarks made me think. I admired two things in him - the way he communicated to me, the gutts that he had to pin point my mistake.

The next day I went to the class with my attendance register wrapped neatly and shared this experience with all my students and thanked Rizwan for his approach.

This incident tickled the learning antennae in me and reinforced the need to model 'good' behaviours for our children to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment