Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Are we talking to our kids the way they want us to?

It was a rainy day and my cousin's kids (two in number)were playing some indoor games at my house. Me and my mom were sleeping in living room while the kids were playing in bedroom. I woke up suddenly and walked to the bedroom to see what those kids were up to? As soon as I opened the bedroom door, the first kid hid something behind her. I understood that she had applied lipstick to her lips. I just gave her a smile and said "Hey, you look different! what's special". The kid said "Nothing, I am the same" and appeared to be busy playing with the other. I asked her"Did you apply lipstick?" for which she said "No". I just came out of the room and continued with my work.

After sometime, when the kids came to the living room, I initiated a conversation and purposefully discussed about my childhood days. During  my conversation, I spoke about my childhood naughty behaviours and how I used to hide them from elders. I didn't know what stuck the kid. The kid said "I am sorry. I applied lipstick and tried to hide it only because you might scold me like my mom".

I was so surprised. The kid continued, "I want to explore a couple of things for myself and my parents don't allow. So I do them without their knowledge and lie to them if asked. I am sacred because they scold if I do something which they don't want me to do. I am bored of too many do's and don'ts told by my parents". 

This incident is something that parents need to ponder about. A few questions that might kindle our thoughts:

Are we aware that kids are not machines to be automated, but individuals who needs to learn with little guidance?

Do we get what we want by expressing our anger or by throwing tantruums on our kids?

Do we realise the energy that we waste on being aggressive with our kids is more than the positive approach that is needed to deal with kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment