Monday, August 16, 2010

The secret ingredient that could make life different

15th August 2010- Indian Independence day celebrations at New York. I went to watch the Independence Day parade at NY and enjoyed watching it. I felt very happy to be a part of the event that celebrated the spirit of India. I felt tired in the evening due to long hours of walking. I came to the New York Port Authority Bus terminal. I bought my tickets from the counter and inquired the gate number from which I had to board the bus back to New Jersey. The guy there told me that the counter number is 405. I went upstairs and waited for the bus in queue. The bus came and the all passengers ahead of me got into the bus. When my turn came, the driver told me, “Hey you have boarded the wrong bus. This bus does not go to New Jersey, Parsippany. Get down.” I had to get down with severe leg pain and tiredness. There was a person (some authority in the bus terminal) guiding the passengers to board the bus. He was around 65 years old, very energetic with a smile moving around helping the passengers around. I went to him and explained my situation. He told me that the bus I was supposed to board had left by then. He said that the gate is not 405, but 404.





He felt sorry for me and told me “I am here and helping the passengers to board the right bus. I kept asking everyone. I somehow missed asking you. Your bus will come after an hour. So please wait till then. I am sorry for you. You look tired. You could sit on one of these chairs and rest. I will inform you when your bus comes”. He said this with a smiling face but in a concerned tone. I sat there on one of the chairs and kept watching this guy. He was very active, kept moving around and helping passengers to board the right bus, all with a bright smile. A couple of passengers seemed to be little doubtful about his directions and his response to those people was, “Trust me. This is the bus you have to board” all with a smile, and not with frowns on his face. He continued doing his work without expecting any kind of appreciation from others. He voluntarily went about asking people about the bus they need to board and continued doing it with youthful enthusiasm.



The bus that I had to board arrived at the gate and he informed me about the arrival of the bus. Not just that, he wished me a good journey and ensured that I boarded the bus. He went towards the other side of the bus. I was waiting to say bye to him and to know his name. He never turned back; he went to the next gate helping passengers. He was demonstrating his passion without any expectations and recognition from others. The bus that I was inside departed from the gate, but my eyes were still looking for the old guy with respect and admiration.



Back home, I was sharing my salutations for that old guy with a wonderment of the difference one could make to his job if he/she is passionate about it. I salute that guy on this Independence day for the passion he demonstrated.































No comments:

Post a Comment