Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Do we as parents preach something and do something else?

Yet another Sunday and yet another thought provoking incident. There was a kid in my neighborhood. As far as I knew, the kid was a very lovable, always very naughty and demonstrated higher level of wonderment. That particular day, the kid’s grandma performed her usual morning prayers. After her prayer, she came towards the living room and found that a used dining plate was left without washing. She became angry and threw the plate shouting “Who kept this here? I don’t like this. I get angry when I see this. Can’t you wash this?” The child was observing this. It was noontime and all the family members were ready to have their lunch. The kid was also called to have lunch and there came the kid running. In the middle of the dining table, the kid saw a bowl of tomato soup. He picked it and said “Who kept this here? I don’t like this.” Saying this he threw the bowl with the soup and there came his mom running to hit him. His father and his mother hit him. He cried loudly and said, “Grandma didn’t like unwashed plate and so she threw it this morning. I don’t like tomato soup and hence I threw it”. I was observing the entire scene and this shook me. I was waiting to hear the response from his parents. To my surprise they said, “You stupid. Grandma is an elderly person. She could do that, but you shouldn’t it?” The kid continued crying and kept telling, “If grandma could do that, why not I?” for which he never got an answer. Everyone in the family left him crying thinking that the kid will calm down and come back after sometime.



The question by the kid was lingering in my ears. Yes, if his grandma could do that why not he? Do we as parents preach something and do something else?



No comments:

Post a Comment