Thursday, September 9, 2010

Is it not better to keep a check of our emotions and look at the long term impact of them in our child’s life?

This is a very short anecdote that had happened recently. This is about a 10 months old kid living in a nearby apartment of mine at New Jersey. The kid name is Asha. Very beautiful and innocent face of hers always had attracted me towards her. Initially when I came to NJ, she did not feel comfortable with me. She would smile at me and see me, but will not come closer.

As days passed on she became very close and she started playing with me. In the meantime the family became close to mine and we became good family friends. Slowly the kid started coming home and played with me. Once both the family happened to go out together to Wal-Mart. I was seated in the back seat with her and her mom. The kid was seated in the baby-seater and was playing with me. Quite often she stared at me. I observed this. Days went on and she was doing this quite often. In fact I was realising that she was developing staring as a mannerism of hers. I noticed this and said, “Oh! You have started staring at me. Why do you do that?” Her mom was hearing this and she told me, “Do you know? Now-a-days she has started identifying my actions and she is trying to imitate them. A few days back I stared at her a couple of times and she imitated me. I was very happy to see that”.

I am not sure as to how many parents are happy about these things. Not sure if this is something that we need to be happy about. If the child has developed the ability to imitate us, then it is an alarm signal for us. We need to be more careful about our actions because the child would follow them. Will the mom continue to be happy if the child does it with people who ever come to their house and with all people around?

Is it not necessary to keep a check of our emotions and look at the long term impact of them in our child’s life?

No comments:

Post a Comment